Empowering REA members to teach with Dignity, Purpose, and Pride.
Our mission is to be a strong, dynamic, professional association that supports its
members in leading the pursuit of educational excellence.
Accountability, Collaboration, Integrity, Leadership, Openness, Respect for Individuals
Frequently Asked Q's
#1. How does Rochester's 'City of the First Class' status effect the school district?
- The City of the First Class status affects the school district in many ways. The biggest difference is teachers new to the district who had continuing contracts in other districts in Minnesota need to serve a 3-year probationary period.Anyone leaving Rochester who has a continuing contract will serve only one year of
probation in their new district as long as the district is not Minneapolis, St. Paul, or Duluth.
A 30-day notice must be given to a probationary teacher before the district removes them from their position. Non-renewals must be given notification in writing and must be received before July 1 of each year. Teachers on continuing contract (now referred to as tenure) must be provided due process to be terminated for cause.
Here is the link to read the specifics of the law. If you need assistance, please contact the REA office.
#2. Who do I contact to become a member of REA?
- Please contact either Dan Kuhlman, our REA President, or Dan Devine, our membership chair. You may click on their names above to send an email.
#3. How do I notify REA of a name or address change?
- Click on the "Name or Address Change" link on the left side of the screen under the Downloadable Forms heading
#4. Where can I find a copy of the REA contract?
- Click on the "Contract and Negotiations" drop down menu under the REA heading at the top of the page. You will also find the Negotiations minutes on that page as well.
#5. How does joining the union benefit me as a member?
- Please look under the REA tab at the top to view the member benefits page, or click HERE.
#6. Where do my dues go?
- Click on the icon below for a PowerPoint of your dues payments and how they are used. Any specific questions may be directed to the REA Treasurer.
#7. Who are my Education Minnesota Representatives?
- President: Denise Specht
- V.P. : Paul Mueller
- Treasurer / Secretary: Rodney Rowe
- Field Staff: Angel Morales
- District M Representative: Dana O'Brien
Rochester Education Association
2778 Commerce Drive NW
Rochester, MN 55901
Bonnie Barnett, a retired RPS teacher, lost her home to fire earlier this month. If you would like to help, you can follow this link to a go fund me page for the family.
Contact Paul Gazelka
The 2019 Minnesota Legislative Session is entering its final days. While working Minnesotans come from different places and different backgrounds, we all want a state where every worker – no exceptions – can live safe, happy and healthy lives.
Right now, Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka is standing in the way of that vision. He and his Senate Republican Caucus are trying to divide and distract working people so they can hand kickbacks to the wealthy few and corporations while defunding our schools, roads, and healthcare.
Minnesotans voted for change last November and it’s time to remind Senator Gazelka of this fact. It’s time to tell him that Minnesota has the resources to build an even better state. It’s time to tell him working Minnesotans want new revenue to fix our roads and bridges, fully funded schools, affordable healthcare, and paid family & medical leave.
Contact Him Right Now
Minnesota AFL-CIO President
Recent Teacher Grads
Did you know that if you were a student member of Education Minnesota, you can get a rebate on your active member dues now? That's right, you can get $20 for each year that you were a student member. Click here to access the rebate form.
Also learn about ways to refinance your student loans. http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-program-helps-graduates-with-high-cost-student-loans/390509441/
2018 REA Retirement Banquet
Restorative Practices: Fostering Healthy Relationships & Promoting Positive Discipline in the Schools, A Guide for Educators. Download a PDF of the Toolkit:
2019 Education Minnesota RC
Here you will find documents outlining our budgets, audits, and monthly reports.
Presentation to FR's
2018-19 budget (as compared to
NEA Representative Assembly